Week 3 Story: Tammy's Carnivorous Aggression

Tammy's Carnivorous Aggression 

On a cool November afternoon, Samantha began cooking Thanksgiving dinner for herself and her husband, Tom. She cooked many dishes to give themselves tons of options when it came to dish up, but one thing was out of the ordinary when compared to other households. None of the dishes contained any meat! This is because both Samantha and Tom were vegetarians. As she continued to cook, Tom was outside doing work around the house. He was shocked to see his sister, Tammy, and her husband, Mike, pulling into their driveway. After all, they lived two states over. They both had the week off from work and decided to surprise Tom and Samantha with their presence for Thanksgiving! All four of them were very happy to finally get to see each other again, it had been over a year since the last time they got together. Unfortunately Tammy and Mike did not arrive with any food for themselves to eat. Samantha was initially cooking only for herself and Tom, but since she had made so many dishes, they had more than enough food for the four of them to be adequately nourished. After she was finished cooking, everyone dished up and took a seat at the table. They all shared aspects of their lives that they were thankful for before they began eating. After this, all four of them took their first bite. Tammy's first bite consisted of a piece of faux turkey, she apparently forgot that Tom and Samantha were vegetarians. She spit it out and had a furious look of rage in her eyes. She viscously demanded that Samantha cook her real turkey meat. Not only did Samantha not have any, she would have refused anyway. This angered Tammy even more. She ran to the kitchen to grab a knife to threaten Samantha but Tom stops her in the process and unsuccessfully tries to defuse the situation. He asked both Tammy and Mike to leave. Unfortunately, this was the last time Tom had spoken to his sister in the last seven years. 

Tofurky, tofu, vegetarian feast, vegan turkey
Faux Turkey - Via Lori Zimmer at InHabitat

Author's Note: If any of you have chosen to read "Tiny Tales from the Ramayana", you may have noticed that this story is loosely based off of the eighth story in the book. This story is titled "Shurpanakha Argues with Mandodari". Before I get to the storyline of the original story, I will discuss each of the character's original names. Ravana became Tom, Mandodari became Samantha, Shurpanakha became Tammy, and Vidyutjiva became Mike. In the original, only Mandodari was a vegetarian but she is still married to Ravana. Ravana's sister, Shurpanakha, is a carnivore and she demanded that Mandodari prepare her meat for dinner. Mandodari refused and this enraged Shurpanakha, so she demanded that her husband, Vidyutjiva, to swallow Ravana. Vidyutjiva obeyed her command. Ravana cried for help so his sister cut open her husband to free Ravana, killing her husband in the process. Shurpanakha forever blamed Ravana for the death of her husband. So as you can see, many changes had been made to the original. I decided to make the setting a holiday here in America. Also, Mike/Vidyutjia, lived in my version. 

Bibliography: Laura Gibbs, Tiny Tales from the Ramayana

Comments

  1. Nathan,

    Wow, what a creative story! I am definitely not as creative when it comes to storytelling, so I am really impressed. I love how you made it American themed as this helps with picturing the scene. I also never knew vegetarian turkey was ever a thing. They say you learn a new thing every day and that is what I learned today haha! I have been reading the book and not the Tiny Tales, so this is interesting because this story is not in the book (or at least it has not been in it yet). I cannot wait to see what other stories you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan! I really enjoyed this new version; my mom is actually a vegetarian, so I can relate to having (mostly) vegetarian meals growing up and eating a lot of faux-meats! I am not a vegetarian myself, but because of my mom, I have no issue at all with eating veggie burgers, tofu, etc, and I am thankful for that! It opens my mind up to different and new foods, and it keeps me healthier if I do end up eating vegetarian for a meal!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts