Reading Notes: Epified Mahabharata (Part A)

 Reading Notes: Epified Mahabharata (Part A)

Last week I enjoyed the Epified Krishna so I decided to revisit the Mahabharata once again by watching the Epified videos. I have watched a handful in the past and decided to watch all of them over again for this week's reading assignments. For Part A of this week I watched the first eight videos. I selected the one that stood out to me most that I believe I could use as a creative platform for this week's story telling assignment. The story I selected was "Devavrat Returns". King Shantanu found himself lonely, missing his wife and son. The sadness he was experiencing was interrupted by the sounds of fighting. Shantranu was impressed by the individual shooting arrows. He had never seen such perfected skill. The individual turned out to be Shantanu's long lost son, Devavrat. Shantanu takes Devavrat with him back to their village where he was announced as the village's newest prince, a future king. After some time, King Shantanu decided to go out and came across a woman that was the daughter of a fisherman. He fell in love with the woman and asked her to marry him. Unfortunately, the fisherman refused to let his daughter marry Shantanu. This was because if they were to have a son he could never become the King since the throne was already promised to Devavrat. King Shantanu returned very saddened. Devavrat noticed this and decided that he would take matters into his own hands. He set out to go reason with the fisherman to see what he could do to get the fisherman's daughter to marry King Shantanu. End of Story. This gives me a great foundation for me to write a story that includes a reuniting aspect. I think I want to still make it about a father inadvertently finding his long lost son. However, I want to make it about the modern era. Maybe the son was lost at birth? Dad taken hostage for a while? I will determine that here probably tomorrow. I also haven't decided what I will have the son help the dad with. Maybe I still keep that element of keeping it tied to a woman but I could also make it regarding a task. I will keep brainstorming! 

King Shantanu reuniting with his son Devavrat - Via Wikipedia

Bibliography: Devavrat Returns, by the Epified YouTube Channel

Comments

Popular Posts