Reading Notes: Rouse. The Giant Crab

 Week 11 Reading (Part A)

In a similar fashion to all of my other reading blog posts, I have done the reading and selected two stories that stood out to me most. These stories were not only very intriguing to read but I also believe that they give me a good starting place for me to build on for future storytelling assignments. The first story that I selected is called "The Hypocritical Cat". The story begins with describing how a troop of rats used to live in holes near a river side. The cat that this story is about watched the rats go to and from. The cat always wanted the opportunity to eat them. The cat knew that he wasn't strong enough. The rats took notice of the cats odd stance and decided to go ask him the purpose. They engage in an exchange where they ask the cat its name and ask about the position the cats stands in. After the discussion, the rats came to the conclusion that the cat was pious. From that point on, each of the rats would bow to the cat as they started out each morning as a way to pay respect. One day later on, the chief of rats noticed that the troop as getting smaller and smaller. The thought came to mind that it may be the cat! So he plots a way to see if the cat indeed was the culprit. Indeed, the cat jumped out in an attempt to snatch another, but this time they were ready. The rats ganged up on the cat and devoured him. After that, the rats lived in peace and happiness. That is the end of the story! I think this would be a fun story to change to change up completely while keeping the original premise of giving a false sense of security to the group. The second story I chose was "The Goblin City", which I have read before. In fact, I actually wrote a retelling of the story already. I chose to reread it to see if I could catch any other details that I did not originally catch that I could add to my retelling.The story is about how there is an island with a city of she goblins. One day, a ship wrecked on the coast near the city. The ship was full of five hundred sailors. Of course, the goblins went down to the seashore. With them they took food and dry clothes for the sailors. Once they met with the sailors, the goblins invited them to go back to the city. By deception, the sailors felt safe and secure, is they agreed. The she-goblins coerced the sailors to marry them. While the sailors,ors were sleeping, the she-goblins went and ate the flesh of a few of the sailors. The captain of the sailors actually took notice and was frightened. With this knowledge, he told his mates. A few believed him and went top safety with him. For those who stayed, they soon became the next feast of the she-goblins! This is the end of the story. I would actually like to do another retelling of this story. The first retelling I did, I made it about Clash of Clans. I would like to tell another but make it about a flight crew and have the captain suggest a similar escape. 

The Goblin City - Via The Jatakas Blogspot

Bibliography: The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India, W. H. D. Rouse

Comments

Popular Posts