Reading Notes: Twenty Jataka Tales (Part B)

 Reading Notes: Twenty Jataka Tales (Part B)

For Part B of this week's reading assignment I have continued reading Twenty Jataka Tales by Noor Inayat. After reading stories 11-20, I have selected one that I can use as a baseline for creative tweaking for any upcoming storytelling assignments. Of the one I picked yesterday and the one I picked today, I will select one of the two to write my story about tomorrow. The story I have selected from part B of the reading it titled "The Patient Buffalo". The story begins by explaining how the buffalo is asleep beneath a tree. A monkey peeked through the branches and saw the buffalo. He wanted to annoy the buffalo. The monkey leaped down on to the buffalo's back. The buffalo opened his eyes to see the money dancing on him. Undisturbed, the buffalo went back to sleep. The monkey came up with a new plan to bug the buffalo by jumping down on to his head and swinging from his horns. Again, the buffalo was undisturbed. The monkey continues its antics by trying to get a rise out of the very patient buffalo. One day, a fairy appeared and asked the buffalo why his is so gentle and patient. He replied with a very sincere statement about how he doesn't get bothered by the actions of others. The fairy liked this repose and used her magic wand to drive the monkey away and have the buffalo a charm so that nobody could bug him again. He lived happily ever after. End of story. In my version I think I would change it to a gentle man who is undisturbed by someone who is trying to get a ride out of him. Although I haven't figured out who would be trying to be bugging the man, that is something I can find out later. Potentially an ex-girlfiend? We shall see. Overall, I think this story is a good foundation for a storytelling assignment!

buffalo sleeping at kruger national park



Buffalo sleeping like there is in the story - Via Age Fotostock


Bibliography: Twenty Jataka Tales (The Patient Buffalo), by Noor Inayat

Comments

Popular Posts